Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Cookbook Project: Recipe 3


Book: Bruce Aidells' Complete Sausage Book
Author: Bruce Aidells + Denis Kelly
Recipe: Tortilla, Vegetable and Chorizo Soup
Page: 170

Came from: A gift to my husband because he loves sausage. (Mind you, he does not cook, but he is a mean BBQ'er)

Why this recipe: I enlisted the aid of Mr. Pink Bathtub and he chose it, he knows we both love a good tortilla soup.

Ingredients: The usual plus garbanzo beans, fire-roasted Anaheim and red peppers, corn and lime juice. (I decided to nix the zucchini that it called for). It also called for frying up some tortilla strips, I opted to bake them and they were fantastic!

Techniques: Just chopping, roasting, sautéing, boiling, etc...

Process: Fairly simple (see above) although somewhat time intensive. But once all the ingredients were added, it didn't take long to cook. That's probably why it tasted so darn fresh, it wasn't overcooked or boiled for 100 hours.

Outcome: Ridiculous! Seriously some of the best tortilla soup I've ever had...and I've had my share. All the basic ingredients together gave it a wonderful flavor. The only herbs/spices added were 1 tsp of oregano and 1 tsp of cumin. Usually, I'm more about the toppings on tortilla soup, but with this recipe, you'll actually like the soup better!

Make again? For sure. I got 6 meals out of it...two dinners and four lunches. In fact, I'm craving it right now!


Join the Cookbook Project Flickr group.

Psst: Since I don't list the actual recipe, feel free to contact me or leave a comment if you'd like me to email it to you. It's that good.

1 comment:

Nullie’s Mama said...

I’d love the recipe. Nulliesmama@gmail.com