Tuesday, August 18, 2009

That time of year again.

It's mid-August in Pittsburgh. That means purchasing a full bushel of romas from our local farm market, spending a full day in a hot kitchen, roasting the hell out of 15 dozen tomatoes and then freezing the tasty treats for winter. This is precisely what I did on Sunday. And oh are they lovely.

This past winter, we went through every single wonderful Ziplock bag of tomatoes. We used them in soups, stews, chili and of course on pasta. It's a little bit of summer in the midst of a cold, cold winter which feels like it's never going to end. The recipe is tried and true. This year I used a melange of herbs from my garden. I chopped up basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano and a few sage leaves in place of just using straight thyme.

I can't wait for winter! (Did I really just say that?)

No comments: