Friday, January 23, 2009

The Cookbook Project: Recipe 1


Book: How to Cook Everything Vegetarian
Author: Mark Bittman
Recipe: Naked Tamales w/Chile Cheese Filling
Page: 547

Came from: Gift from NPR donation.

Why this recipe: I love Mexican food and it's so hard to find authentic or even good Mexican food here in Pittsburgh, so I thought I would branch out and try something that didn't involve taco shells! I will admit that I went for the easier route by nixxing the cornhusks and going for the "naked" version.

New ingredient: Harina de Maiz.

Techniques: Baking in water bath and roasting your own peppers.

Process: Make a masa, or dough, as well as the filling, layer and bake. It was a bit time consuming and utilized a fair share of dishes. Not a meal for a quick, weeknight dinner! It called for a homemade enchilada sauce, but I used canned to save time.

Outcome: Very tasty! It was moist and flavorful and the chile/cheese filling was delectable! I think the tamales could do without the rich enchilada sauce, maybe just add some freshly chopped tomatoes and a hint of cilantro. Also, I did not miss meat whatsoever.

Make again? Absolutely!

No comments: